October 26, 2011

taking care

"This is the age of self-help. Bookstores abound with books about 'taking care of number one,' making oneself the center of all things. The main goal of these methologies is to become self-sufficient and confident. You however, have been called to take a 'road less traveled': continual dependence on Me. True confident comes from knowing you are complete in My Presence. Everything you need has its counterpart in Me.

Luke 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches, he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.

*****

"Taking care of number one" implies demanding your "rights" and being self-sufficient, neither of those are what should exemplify a Christians life. I am to be just as concerned about others as I am myself. And I am not self-sufficient, I am to depend upon God. There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself. Parker Palmer wrote "Self care is not a selfish act- it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others."

Today let's take care in all our relationships: with God, with ourselves, and with others.


one thousand gifts
250. beautiful fall scenery on an early morning drive to doctor's

No comments:

Post a Comment