August 6, 2011

When Things Go Wrong

Today's devotional in "Jesus Calling" was about what to do when things go wrong:

1. stop what you are doing
2. trust God
3. calmly bring the situation to God
4. leave it with God
5. simply do the next thing
6. keep in communication with God
7. Rejoice in God
8. Exult God for your salvation

Probably the step that really spoke to me was: simply do the next thing. How often do we hit a hard situation and its almost like we are paralysed. We may have prayed, but then we just sit there trying to figure out how to solve the problem or worrying that there is no solutions. But we were suppose to leave it with God and then go on to what we know to do next. It may have nothing to do with the situation, but it is what we are to do. Letting God do His work. He will let us know when it is time for us to get involved.

Today's Bible verses were Job 13:15, Psalm 18:33, and Habakkuk 3:17-19.

Again, God's timing is perfect. Our air conditioner went out today and I can honestly say that my first thoughts were:

Thank you God that it isn't in the 90's with high humidity, that we have screens to put in our windows, and there is a nice breeze blowing.

Losing our air conditioner reminded me again how when things are working--we can take them for granted. Then I started thinking about all the poor people in the world who live with much higher temperatures and don't have food let alone air conditioning. I am so blessed! I know that it is not because of anything that I have done or anything that I haven't done, but simply because God is good and He loves me.

I think this journey of being aware of the gifts that God gives me, is helping me to have a better perspective about what is important!

one thousand gifts
#38 hummingbirds feasting on my "manna" plant
#39 air-conditioning
#40 my salvation
#41 the breeze blowing through the screens

No comments:

Post a Comment