July 23, 2011

painting

I posted yesterday about the most recent painting projects that I had finished... today I want to tell you that I hate painting!

Tom has always hated to paint. He will gladly do any do-it-yourself project, unless it is painting.
That doesn't mean that he hasn't done more than his fair share of painting over the years, but he hates to paint so much that we actually paid painters to paint the inside of our house before we moved in.

Me on the other hand, I had liked to paint. Sure it's messy and time consuming, but it is an economical way to change your decor without replacing everything. It also had the added
benefit of giving almost immediate gratification... I could see the difference I was making right away! As a stay at home mother that's not something that happens a lot. Sure you do the laundry, but by the time you are finished--there is more to do; you fix dinner, but by the time you clean up--everyone is ready for a snack; you clean the house, but by the time you finish--the first rooms that you cleaned are already showing wear; then there is the whole waiting at least 20 years to see how you did at the parenting thing. But I digress, my real point was that I actually enjoyed painting. That is not saying that I was very good at it. It always seemed to take me twice as long and twice as much paint to cover a wall as it did Tom. I also seem to wear a lot of the paint by the time I was finished. But the bottom line was I liked it.

That was then, this is now. I can now unequivocally state "I hate painting!" I killed my joy in painting by doing too much of it. I plan to post more on the bigger painting projects that I've done since we moved in, but for now I want to share the little paint projects that have contributed to my new attitude:


25 picture frames
9 jar lids


9 lamps
3 wire baskets
5 decorative boxes



1 letter "S"


1 bell


4 wall hangers



1 clock


8 candlesticks

and

1 kleenex holder that I painted
light blue, then silver,
and then finally settled for
a dark blue with silver highlights!





No comments:

Post a Comment