July 26, 2011

Hearing God

I woke up this morning with another migraine and worrying about shopping for a bridal shower gift. After taking my Excedrin Extra Strength and sleeping some more, I woke up and started my quiet time. In "Jesus Calling" I read:

"Relax and let Me lead you through this day. I have everything under control. My control."

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. I will guide you with My eye upon you."

instruct means to make circumspect and hence intelligent
teach comes from a root word that means to flow as water and means to teach (with the picture of God's wisdom flowing like water from Him to us... don't you love that!)
counsel means to guide, lead, transport

God will be our guide through this life. He has His eyes on us... not as someone who is keeping account of what we do, but as a loving guide!

Psalm 119:35 Make me walk in the path of Thy commandments; for therein I delight.

path comes from a root word that means to trample and it means a beaten path
commandments means law, ordinances, precepts
delight means to incline to, to desire, take delight

God's word is a well traveled path. It is where I need to walk... or even more--where I should desire and delight in following God.

Psalm 143:8 Let me hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning . For I trust in Thee. Teach me the way I should walk. For to Thee I lift up my soul.

hear means to hear intelligently, discern, receive
lovingkindness is not a word we hear very often, but it means just what it sounds like-- love that is expressed though kindness
trust means to hie for refuge, trust, be confident
lift up means to lift, to exalt, to marry, magnify, honor
soul means heart, soul, will, desire, myself

It is not enough to hear God. We have to understand what we have heard and act upon it... I love this picture of my trust in God is of me running to Him for refuge!... It's interesting the word lift up also meant to marry--possibly like I am lifting up my soul to join with God...How do I hear God? I know that I hear Him through scripture, through the Holy Spirit whispering in my soul, and from godly counsel; but on an earlier entry in "Jesus Calling" Sara Young wrote that we also hear God through sights, sounds, thoughts, impressions--that there is no limit to the variety of ways God can communicate with us. So as I sat this morning listening to the water from the pool fountain and the birds and cicadas --was the water reminding me that Jesus is our Living Water, were the birds singing a song of God the creator, and were the cicadas trilling that God is a God who watches after all creation? You may not be sue, but that is what I heard!

So my gifts from God that I added to my "one thousand gifts list" should be obvious:
#7 the cadence of the pool fountain
#8 the songs of the birds
#9 the trill of the cicadas

No comments:

Post a Comment