January 4, 2011

Bible Study for 2011...Gen. 16:1-5

One thing I have already decided is that instead of setting the goal of reading the Bible through in one year-- 5 chapters a day, I am setting the goal to read the Bible, but not set the number of chapters or even verses a day that I should read. I love to not just read, but to study God's Word, so I will make my goal to spend 30 minutes reading and studying... and I will set the goal as daily, but reminding myself that goals are things I want to do.


What I studied today:Genesis 16:1-5


16:1 Now Sarai, Abram's wife had borne him no children, and she had an Egyptian maid whose name was Hagar.


16:2 So Sarai said to Abram, "Now behold, the LORD has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children through her." And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai.


16:3 And after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Abram's wife Sarai took Hagar the Egyptian, her maid, and gave her to her husband Abram as his wife.


16:4 And he went in to Hagar, and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her sight.


16:5 And Sari said to Abram, "May the wrong done me be upon you. I gave my maid into your arms; but when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her sight. May the LORD judge between you and me.


words I looked up in Strongs Exhaustive Word

prevented, restrained (KJV) #6113 = hold back, close up, restrain

obtain #1129 banah= to build, obtain children, make repair

perhaps, that it may be (KJV) #194 uwlay = if so be, unless, may be

listened, harkened (KJV) $8085 shama= hear intelligently--implied attention, obedience

voice #6963 qowl= to all aloud, voice, claim, bleating

despised #7043 qalal= to be made light of, bring into contempt

wrong #2555 chamac = damage, injustice, wrong

LORD #3068 Yehovah= the Self Existing One, eternal

judge #8199 shaphat= to judge, pronounce judgment, vindicate or punish, defend , avenge



my thoughts:

1. Although God had promised Abram a heir of his own seed, had He made it clear that it was going to be through Sarai?

2. Funny how she blamed God for her not conceiving yet she didn't seem to ask God what he had planned. She came up with a plan for her to obtain a child.

3. It was a common practice during this time for a woman who couldn't conceive to have her maid become a concubine and have a child that the woman could claim as hers, but I doubt that this was what God had planned.

4. I thought it was funny that one of the definitions for voice was bleating. Was Sarai's voice sounding like sheep bleating to Abram? Is that why Abram gave in to Sarai so quickly or was he just happy to be with a younger woman or did Abram think that this was God's plan? Why didn't he ask God?

5. Did Hagar despise Sarai because Sarai had not treated her as a concubine but still as a maid. Or did she despise Sarai because she thought she was better than Sarai.

    6. What made Sarai think that she could blame Abram for what has happened and what made her think that God would hold Abram responsible?



What these scriptures told me about God:

He is the self existent One, He was not created He is.


What these scriptures told me about me:

I need to not presume upon what I think God would have me do... I need to ask Him and wait until his answer is clear. The world's plans often sound good, but often leads to terrible consequences. Take responsibility for my decisions, don't try to pass the buck.




No comments:

Post a Comment